Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Ranger's Apprentice The Ruins of Gorlan Review

RANGER’S APPRENTICE THE RUINS OF GORLAN REVIEW


The Rangers, with their shadowy ways, have always made him nervous.
And now fifteen-year old Will has been chosen as a Ranger’s apprentice.  But what he doesn’t yet realize is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom who will fight the battles before the battles reach the people.  And there is a large battle brewing.  The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom.  This time he will not be denied….


Pipers Review: I really enjoyed this book all the way through.  I never had any questions about anything and everything was very descriptive.  The Ruins of Gorlan always captured my full attention and brought me deep into the book while I read.  I enjoyed the fact that I could really see everything that was going on in the book, in my own head.  Also, every feeling Will feels seemed to penetrate through me.  It was amazing at how vivid everything in the book was.  John Flanagan’s writing is very good, however, I was a little annoyed with the way he always used the word Kilometer to describe any distance somebody went in the book.  I do not think it would have been a bad idea for the author to use synonyms for distance traveled in the book.  Overall, it’s very well written and I could not say anything else bad about the writing. 

I think my favorite characters in the book are Will and Halt.  However, I did wish that there were a little more of the book focused on Will’s training.  The time in the book flew by quickly, but you never really knew what Will was doing during all that time.  Just that he was practicing with special Rangers weapons (which are pretty cool weapons by the way), cleaning Halts house, and getting to know his horse Tug.  I just wish there had been more to it.  I enjoyed reading about what was happening to Horace as well as Will.  Horace’s character really grew up during his time at Battleschool, and we find out that he is a natural at swordplay.  Horace also finds out at Battleschool that karma bites back.  He first picks on will and is then picked on at Battleschool.  Nevertheless, I think his character definitely needed  to grow up. I do hope the new friendship between Horace and Will remains, and I hope they have a few adventures together in the later books. 

I have decided that if I could be anything in the world, I might just pick being a Ranger.  They have a pretty legit job and are people with some major swag going on.  Haha!  But I think of it as like being a spy, and lets face it, there is a part of ourselves in us all that wish we could be spy’s!  Will has a future set for him that any kid/teen would dream to have!  Halt, Wills mentor, screams all kinds of cool.  I know if I were training to be a Ranger, I would want Halt as my trainer!  I cannot wait to enter their kingdom in the second book to the series and experience more thrilling adventures! 

I rate this book 8/10

Crimsons Review: John Flanagan has written a remarkably, brilliant adventure novel, that had me entranced from page one. Set in the kingdom of Araluen, the story follows the journey of Will. Will, a young teenager who at first is fearful that he will never be an apprentice, because he feels he is unskilled.  Will soon discovers he possesses the perfect talents to be trained as a Ranger.  A position that is both feared and respected throughout the kingdom.  As Wills’ training goes underway, he not only sharpens his Ranger skills but also builds up strength and courage. 

At first, I was not a fan of the character Horace. I think it was cowardly of Horace to pick on Will, who was much smaller than he was.  I actually enjoyed it when Horace goes off to Battleschool to become a knight, and is then picked on by the other knights there.  However, I grew to love Horace when he decided to stand up against his own bullies and defend Will when they tried to attack him. 

I really love Wills character.  I felt a lot for him throughout the whole book.  In the beginning, he was down on his luck because he wasn’t really good at anything and he wasn’t built like a knight, so I felt sorry for him.  Then he finds out that he has the skills to be a Ranger and he is chosen as a Ranger’s Apprentice.  At that point, I was happy and excited for him because he was finding out that he could become someone.  I think the character of Will is so brilliantly written, when he was afraid, I felt afraid, and when he triumphed, I felt like I did too! 

I was very impressed with the way the author executed the plot.  The book had its own adventure yet there is an even grander tale that is leading into the next book.  Therefore, while the book did not end on a cliffhanger, it did leave me with quite enough tension and excitement to go right into the next book.  The Ruins of Gorlan starts the Ranger’s Apprentice series with a bang that has me revved up to read the next ones. 

I rate this book 8.7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me