Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Piper Reviewing:


YOU LOOK DIFFERENT IN REAL LIFE

Readers of John Green, Sarah Dessen, and Laurie Halse Anderson will be touched by the emotional depth and realistic characters of Jennifer Castle’s YA novel You Look Different in Real Life.

  Justine charmed the nation in a documentary film featuring five kindergartners. Five years later, her edgy sense of humor made her the star of a second movie that caught up with the lives of the same five kids.

  Now Justine is sixteen, and another sequel is in the works. Justine isn’t ready to have viewers examining her life again. She feels like a disappointment, not at all like the girl everyone fell in love with in the first two movies. But, ready or not, she and the other four teens will soon be in front of the cameras again.

  Smart, fresh, and frequently funny, You Look Different in Real Life is a piercing novel about life in an age where the lines between what’s personal and what’s public aren’t always clear.

 

Review:  Through the first few chapters I can honestly say I did not like them.  I thought it was boring and slow, and I just wasn’t feeling it.  I don’t want anyone to read this and have second thoughts about reading the book or going into it with the idea that you won’t like it…or that it’s a bad book.  You must read my entire review before you make any decisions if you are to make any!   But I will say that I think the books title (YOU LOOK DIFFERENT IN REAL LIFE) gave me a different idea for the book.  I just feel like what I was expecting is not what I got.  Not that what I got is a bad thing but it was just a bit surprising as I was reading and I wasn’t reading what I thought and hoped it would be.  With that said, I think I enjoyed the book overall.  You may question why I say think and not just I did.  That is because I’m still having so many mixed feelings about it.  Like I said the beginning for me was slow, then after the first few chapters I was really getting into it and was really enjoying it, seriously I didn’t want to stop!  But then I felt it go downhill a little.  I wasn’t quite into it again.  My feelings for it were that I was reading a book that didn’t know what story to take on.  Like it was going to go one way then went a different.  Or maybe like what I was reading should have been two different stories.  I am honestly trying to do my best to explain how I felt but it’s seeming to be very hard for some reason.  But I think what I said is the best way I can say it.  It just felt like it should be two completely different stories.  But I will say I fell in love with it completely within the last chapters!  Once they were in New York and everything was unraveling a bit more I was deeply charmed you could say. 

 

Justine, the main character, didn’t do much for me until the later chapters.  Again I wasn’t into the book until the later chapters and that might have been why.  But once into the book, I liked her a lot more!  I was a little sad that she didn’t move on with her life on camera.  To me that really would have been the closing point.  Like if she had did her part on the camera and just let it all out she would have had closure…and I would have had closure as the reader.  Though I did feel like something was missing throughout the whole book!!  That definitely was a boyfriend for her!  Her past with Ian took up most of the beginning, and then I’d say battling feelings about Felix took up most of the book, and at the end her newly sewn relationship with (SPOILER ALERT) Nate takes over.  I thought that something big was going to happen with Ian or something and then when it didn’t I was very surprised.   I understood the mixed feelings (at least that’s what I took it as because if it is meant to be anything different I think it be weird) about Felix but I really, truly was glad they did not end up together!  I just felt they didn’t belong.  When Nate starting coming into the picture as an option I was so happy!  I waited the whole book for them just to kiss and it to be done!  Even though I think Justine couldn’t tell she liked him, I definitely could!  I wasn’t sure that he liked her at first, obviously with the way he acted around Keira, but I knew deep down something had to happen!  I knew this was a book that was meant to have at least ONE relationship in it!  So yes I totally fangirled when they got together at the end!  :D

 

As for everything else…well I don’t know.  I didn’t not like it….but that’s all I can say.  It was good.  Believe me it was and the times that I got into it were great!  But there was something about it that just didn’t stick with me.  Of course like I always I encourage you to read it!  Any book is worth a try!  I think this is more of a girl book (but hey guys might like it too!!) and I would say ages 13-16 would like it best!

 

I rate this book: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me