Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Piper Reviewing




The Moon and More

Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.    

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer.

 

Review:  This book was AMAZING!  Actually it was better than amazing…it was absolutely exquisite!!  It had everything you could want in a good read: an excellent main character, a captivating storyline, heartbreaking conflictions, an enticing & heart-tugging romance, and great characters that help make the book.  So this book…well it really was The Moon and More!  Everything you could want and more in a book! 

        There was never a dull moment for me and it just seemed to keep my full attention throughout the whole thing.  I read the book in one day.  Every time I set it down to do something I found myself going back to it as soon as possible!  It wasn’t hard for me to engage in Emaline’s world, and block out mine, at all!!  In fact it was Emaline’s world engaging me and blocking mine out for me!

 

        Emaline was really an excellent character.  She was definitely a type of girl I’d want as my friend.  Though sometimes in books you feel as though you are the main character, in this one I felt more like a bystander watching it all.  Sort of like I was a friend of hers.  I understood her, I wanted to help her, I was there for it all, I wanted her to succeed.  But I didn’t find that a bad thing in this book.  I especially loved her relationship with Daisy and Morris.  I really liked Daisy, she was a loyal friend to Emaline, and if she existed in real life I know I‘d want to be her friend!  She was very charismatic and likeable.  Someone you would want to hang out with (and be friends with around prom if you are looking for a jaw dropper, show stopper, star dazzling dress)!!  I liked Morris, he was the guy friend that every girl has, or tries to have.  But unlike most guy friends that girls have, to me he didn’t seem very helpful in times when you want a shoulder to cry on and when a girl just needs a guy to explain what goes on in their heads.  He didn’t seem like a bad friend of course!  Just not the type that you can lean on in those special moments you want to have with your guy friend.  That moment when even though you pick at each other, or you talk and hang out and are best friends but don’t let loose of emotions around each other, you know you have each other’s backs and can break down when needed.  I prefer my guy friends to be that way….but again I didn’t dislike Morris.  The relationship between Benji and Emaline was so special to me.  I guess me and my little brother are sort of like that and will probably grow more like that when I can drive and all that.  But it really touched base for me and I thought it was something that really made the book.  I didn’t like her dad at all!  He was the dad that you hated throughout the book but expected to reveal everything in the end and become everything Emaline needed from him.  But that didn’t happen.  I was disappointed in him just like Emaline.  Now I understand he is a character that you probably aren’t supposed to like, but I mean I REALLY hated him (Not to get all weird and religious or anything, but in God’s eyes that means I just killed him.  lol).  My heart was really torn when he didn’t pull through in the end.  I like Emaline’s family otherwise.  Her mom seemed really cool and is kind of like the mom I’ve always thought would be cool to have.  She understands you, she isn’t weird to talk to (usually), she is like a teenage girl when it comes to boys and TV shows and stuff.  But I did feel like she wasn’t totally the best.  I mean no one is perfect…and no mom is perfect.  But she seemed a little immature and it felt like Emaline was the adult more than her mom at times. 

I absolutely hated Theo!  He made no sense to me.  His entire character was jacked up.  I didn’t like his personality, I hated how he acted around Emaline’s friends and family, I didn’t like the decisions he made, I just didn’t like him!  I thought Emaline was crazy for making such a big deal over what Luke did.  I get it he sort of cheated and blah but he apologized, and I believe the apology was truly from his heart and he meant it.  I can’t believe she left Luke for Theo.  But I guess without Theo and her having a relationship with him there would be no book.  And I LOVE this book!!! 

 

But yeah that’s pretty much all I can say on this book.  I enjoyed all of the characters (especially Emaline’s step dad, he was a really great guy I thought) and the story was amazing!  Truly something beautiful!  A wonderful piece of art.  I recommend this book for teens who are 14 +

 

I rate this book: 8/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me