Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Piper Reviewing:


If I Stay

In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

A Novel By: Gayle Forman

 

Review: It’s hard for me to describe this book.  It was so beautiful, so full of meaning, so full of life (but the kind of life that makes you feel something deep inside of you.  The life that can only bring out the best in you, the way you look at life.  It is a different life than life itself.  It is also ironic for this book to be so full of life considering *spoiler* she is kinda dead).  This book is just so amazing.  It is a book full of sadness, full of doubts, full of decisions that change everything for a person, decisions that control you no matter which choice you decide to take.  But besides the dread and sorrow that make up the book, there is something beautiful, a bigger meaning, a life changing story, and so much life in it, behind it, and between it!  I tell you I’ve never had more trouble describing a book.  I really did love it though! 

 

I loved the main character Mia.  At first I wasn’t sure of her.  At first I was like, we have absolutely nothing in common, and it is so hard to like a character when you have nothing in common.  But it turns out as I read on that we sort of did have a few things in common.  But it didn’t matter.  I never realized that you can still like and feel for a character you aren’t really like.  With most books you find things that make you like the main character and you start feel more like the main character instead.  So when something happens to the character you sense the sadness or happiness you imagine they would be feeling.  But I didn’t have much in common with Mia, yet I still felt the dread and the struggle to make the decisions she was facing.  I liked Mia’s entire family!  And as I read on and learned more and more about them it was even harder for me (I can’t even imagine what it would have been like for Mia, cause I’m just the reader!!) to let them go!  She had some AWESOME parents and a really cool little brother.  I thought her Grandma and Grandpa were also really great people.  Just the way I imagine normal (yeah nobody in my family is normal) Grandparents to be.  Lol.  But to be honest I didn’t feel anything for Adam.  I mean I know he was supposed to be something more, but he just felt like a character.  Maybe it was that he was totally not my type of guy?  Maybe it was that I just didn’t like him…his personality?  Maybe I thought he wasn’t a good boyfriend?  Or maybe it was all of those put together!!  But whatever it was I just didn’t like him. 

 

I don’t usually mention or talk about the writing in a book.  But I am going to talk about it this time!!  ;)  A lot of authors try to write the way Gayle Forman did in this book.  The style and technique of the writing in If I Stay was PERFECT!!  I mean usually I don’t like it.  I think because authors try to write like that but it just doesn’t work.  I’m going to use an example, and just remember this is my opinion.  I know I might get a lot of “Haters” for this.  I felt like Stephanie Meyer tried to write like that with the Twilight series.  Now I am not a Twilight fan, and part of the reason is because the writing.  It just didn’t work and to me it just came off as bad writing!  But with If I Stay it was perfect!  The author used it correctly and in a beautiful way.  I was very surprised at first by it because I wasn’t sure that Gayle could pull it off either!  But let me just say that If I Stay was PERFECT.  There really is no other way to describe it.

 

I definitely recommend this book!  I think readers the ages 15 and up will like it most.

I rate this book: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me