Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

*SPECIAL EDITION* Piper Reviewing:


 The Lotus Effect

An improbable partnership. An unforgettable love.

 

Lily Emerson, daughter of the Head of Council and Mistress of Science, has lived a privileged life. It's Lily's 18th nameday, the day she is to follow in her mother's footsteps, becoming the next Mistress of Science--the most powerful woman in all of City Prosper. The Architect and designer of Prosper's future.

 

During the night of her Coronation, the corruption of the Council spreads before her . . . opening her eyes to the cruelty that resides in the Council, even within her own parents. Lily realizes now the title of Mistress only comes with superficial power, that to truly save the citizens--she has to fight. Fight in the Barrage--the mechanical gladiatorial tournament in which one chosen pair of volunteers from each Sector fights, armor-clad and as a team, utilizing unique weapon specialties: the Gatling gun, the Cestus, Klaives, Crescent Knives, mechanically engineered beasts--in the hope to win the right to change the Law. A law that has remained unchanged since its creation almost eighty years ago.

 

The tournament that Xander, Engineering Blacksmith and Lily's partner, believes she has no business being in.

 

But Lily's different. And she sets out to prove just that.

 

 

 

Review:  When I started reading The Lotus Effect I was curious, and a little confused to be honest.  I have never read a book with such intricate writing.  The characters talk the way people talked a long time ago.  I would definitely say there was elegance to the words on the pages and the way the characters spoke.  But reading through the first few chapters I really grew to enjoy it a lot and not be so taken aback by it.  I thought it was different and fresh, not something teens read nowadays.  Sometimes though, I felt a little overwhelmed with it.  Not being used to reading a book with such elaborate words.  But nonetheless I liked it a lot and I think I also learned a few new vocab words!  Haha! 

 

The main character Lily is stuck in a world where, in my perspective, people have no souls.  Except Lily.  Her soul was full of love, hope, purity, and curiosity.  But she has to be careful or that will all get her into trouble.  The beginning of the book was slow for me…..I wasn’t feeling much for Lily.  But reading more I developed an understanding of her and noticed how much we really are alike!  Though, sometimes, a little scary how alike!  Lily is very independent and learns to use the advantages she has in a complicate and dangerous situation.  She also learns a lot about herself through the entire book.  She also is a dancer J  and for those of you who read this and know me *cough my best friend Alex* know that I am exactly like how I just described Lily.  Haha!  Now, Xander, he definitely intrigued me from the start.  He sparked up curiosity in me and throughout the whole book the author surprised me with him!  This is a very hard thing to do (surprise me).  I didn’t fall for Xander right away.  Being so curious about him, kind of like Lily, blocked me from seeing Xander and being able to open up to him and trust him.  But I eventually fell in love with him (even before Lily did).  Having a guy that was a mystery (not just had it, but was it) was definitely something I REALLY liked.  It made you think and made you go through the steps of actually getting to know and like someone, like you do in real life.  He felt more like a real person than just a book character you fall in love with.  Normally I talk about more characters in the book but these were the only two I had something to say about.  If I included my opinion on the other book I would be writing a book.  Also, all the feelings I had towards the other character were exactly what the author was aiming for.  I liked the people I was supposed to and didn’t like the characters I wasn’t supposed to like.  So Bridget Ladd excellently succeeded in that department.  So if you want to find out more about the character I highly suggest you read The Lotus Effect! 

 

Well to finish this review let me talk about the final chapters.  They were packed with tons of action and SO realistic in my mind!  Bridget Ladd really ended with a bang!  The finally had everything from fantasy (extremely well thought of and so imaginative fantasy too!) to mystery, to heart racing action, to glee and to sorrow all at once!  Now you might think with all of that amazingness it would be too overwhelming…but believe when I say it was perfect!  I started with beginning where I was iffy to the middle when I really got into it and envisioned everything going on so well and started to feel more a part of the book to the conclusion where the climate still hangs high and leaves you wanting more!  Bridget Ladd did a wonderful job and I am SO excited to read more of her work! 

 

Special Thanks to Bridget for emailing me about your book.  For without an email from you I would’ve never known of the greatness that fills the pages of your book or the things that I began to love throughout it! 

 

Interview with Bridget Ladd:

1. How did you come up with The Lotus Effect?

            *Let’s see . . . . Even though a lot of my ideas come to me in my dreams, bits and pieces that I eventually interweave together, the idea for The Lotus Effect came to me after waking up, while still in—I guess you could call it—the sleep daze. I didn’t even make it out of the bed. I just grabbed up my laptop and started writing.

            I’ve always been so intrigued by Indian and Asian cultures and I often thought of how the Lotus was such a beautiful symbol of perseverance. I first learned of its true beauty from my Ancient Art History professor in college. She was from India and always spoke so highly of the Lotus and its symbolism. I believe the seedling ideas for The Lotus Effect were planted then and there in that class. Teachers really do inspire!

 

2. What was your favorite part to write? 

            *I love writing the action scenes. The ones that involve Xander and Lily. They are the hardest to write in my opinion—there are so many intricate and moving parts. Can she hold this, while doing this? If this was happening to me, what would I do? What would I see? Or feel? I played sports while growing up, and as a writer, I feel the need to submerge into that same hyper sense of reality. I tune everything out and just plunge into the scene. Hours later, I’ll eventually come back to my senses and think, “Woah! That was fun!”

 

3. Do you feel any of the characters resemble you in any way?  And if so which are you most like? 

            *As many authors say, we take pieces of ourselves and put them into each of our characters. Even the bad traits. Though, I suppose I can compare myself to Lily the most. It’s so hard not too!  A shy and somewhat awkward version of Lily, with a pinch of the introvertedness of Xander, mixed with the upbeat quirkiness of Dex. But Lily all the same.

 

4.  What inspires you to write, and what in particular inspired you to write The Lotus Effect?

            * Much of my inspiration derives from a variety of experiences, but I find that artwork and the 'epic playlists' I listen to, tend to become the best source of creativity and imagination. A battle scene would be incomplete without Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps from Hell, Audiomachine, Immediate Music and the like—all of which helps guide the scene along. Character driven inspiration comes to me from things I observe in everyday life. I like to think of myself as the hooded figure in the darkened corner of the tavern. The Aragorn smoking his pipe . . . (I don’t smoke), as he watches those around him. If I had a choice that would be me, but on second thought . . . that makes me sound a bit creepy. Also, Dreams. I dream vividly every single night—ever since I can remember.  And at times I hated them. I’d dream I was being held captive in a Russian prison for days in which I had to escape/fight my way through—only to wake up and go to school the next day. Needless to say, I’m always a bit out of it in the mornings. But I’ve learned to accept my dreams as a gift and as another source of inspiration.

Two songs I find myself listening to multiple times while writing is: Thomas Bergersen’s Starvation. And Prodigy’s Omen during the final scenes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnGaCAHhGfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pyn87oJIlg

 

5.  Are you planning to write a sequel or sequels (my hope is sequels)???

           

            *Absolutely! I’m currently working on Book 2, Ardent Ascension. I’m shooting for three books. There’s definitely enough I want to address to achieve it! 

 

6.  If you could give one piece of advice to your fans what would it be? 

            *Do what you enjoy. Take time to find a hobby, go outside and look at bugs, be weird, play video games, read books, watch anime, do something that will bring you happiness. For when you’re happy, it spreads, and the world is better off because of it.

 

Last but not least:

7. If I ever go to NC can I visit you?  ;)

            *Of course! Though I warn you, I give very awkward hugs. :)

 

My conversations with Bridget while reading The Lotus Effect

1. So I just started your book (sorry it took so long we have been remodeling my room this week) and so far im enjoying it a lot.  I love the feel of it and I especially love the writing!!  All the books I read nowadays are just not as intricate and elegant and detailed, such as the writing in your book.

2. I am 200 pages in.  I am absolutely loving it and I am so tuned in.  I love Xander.  I was totally suspicious about him and there was something unreal about him at first I felt, but after reading the chapter about what happened to him im sold.  Haha.  And I love Lily.  She's really brave and I feel like she is discovering a lot about herself which is something that I know will happen to me when im older.  Have to find who I am and just have the courage to stand up.  And she is independent and prideful quite like myself;). Not that it is always a good thing as Xander constantly reminds.  Lol!  I find myself comparing katniss (hunger games) and Lily.  Its that Katniss was a normal girl, couldn't fight, not someone with abnormal amounts of bravery, and then all the sudden she could fight, had tons of courage, and was this amazing girl.  And I feel like in the Hunger Games they didn't explain her well enough.  I didn't care for Katniss.  But that is so different with Lily.  Its not this overnight process nd she still has these faults that everyday is working through.  I love it and I care for Lily and she's more real. 

3. *SPOILER* Finally!!  It only took them 370 pages to kiss!!  I couldn't be more happy right now!  I almost started bawling when Briggins took Xander.  But omygod im so happy right now!  I just love both Lily and Xander.  And more and more am I feeling like Lily herself.  We are quite alike.  Haha.  Just thought I'd let you know.  And I was reading the back of the book (like where your picture was, and your little bio.).  I noticed that you are writing a second one?  Or have you already completed it?  Even though im not finished with this one I know I will want to read a second!  Your writing is beautiful and so good!!  So I would be honored to get to read a second one you wrote!

4. Just finished, and I can't even tell you how sad I am that its over.  I need more!!!  Lol!  I loved it!  You really brought together a wonderful piece of art.  And every emotion and love for the book was flowing through me during the end.  You did a magnificent job!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me