Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Piper Reviewing:


Insurgent

By: Veronica Roth

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

 

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

 

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

 

Review: Going into the book and reading the first few chapters I wasn’t really into it.  The story picks up literally right from where Divergent left off.  I read Divergent quite a while ago and found myself having trouble remember who characters were.  But that wasn’t totally the writers fault.  Usually books in a series all give a small paragraph in the beginning to refresh your memory from the last book, and Insurgent did not.  So I did have trouble remembering a few things.  I understand there has just been a war and it’s hard times and everyone was going crazy, but I thought Tris was a little bit of a jerk in the beginning of Insurgent.  Just the way she was talking and thinking about people made we want to slap her.  If she acted that way around me I would have.  She just didn’t act how I would have expected her too.  Plus Tris and Tobias got a little handsy one night at Amity in the first few chapters.  What happened to her fear of Intimacy?  I’m not crept out or grossed out in any way, I just am curious if she got over that little fear….?

 

Now, let’s talk about Tobias for a little bit.  First you should know I had a 20 minute phone call with my best friend about him, which consisted of me yelling-ranting-huffing-whining and was to my great annoyance.  Tobias needs to check out a book called “Boyfriend 101”.  He was a BAD BOYFRIEND!  I totally loved Four in Divergent and was completely and utterly in love with him!  In the beginning of this book when I didn’t like him I was like:  Oh ok well maybe he’ll get better throughout the book.  How wrong I was.  He was such a jerk face and if he was my boyfriend and talked to me like the way he talked to my girl Tris I would’ve slapped him in the face then said to him: “Fine, behave like this, see if I care!  We can break up right now!  I’ll just walk right outa ya life if you wanna act that way with me!  Don’t think you can give me attitude about stuff!  I am independent and I don’t need no guy walking in my life telling me this!  Get outa here!  Go get a new girl!”  Now, I apologize if you have not met me and met my ghetto side yet.  But it is mostly like that…..ok a little worse.  I didn’t say it exactly like that on the phone.  But still Tobias was such a jerk.  He wasn’t supportive at all, and whenever they were like together and sleeping he was never there when she woke up!  I can’t stand boys who do that.  I like guys who are there when you go to sleep, and when you wake up!  I don’t care what time it is!  I was happy though, that he pulled through in the end.  I mean I was hoping for a little bit more of a resolve but I guess I will be getting that in the next book….hopefully.  Or Veronica Roth will have to deal with me.  I really want to fall back in love with Tobias in the last book!  So let’s pray he doesn’t act like a dumb boyfriend in Allegiant. 

 

I didn’t like Tobias’s mom from the beginning.  I just didn’t trust her.  Like Tris.  His mom was just someone who set me on edge and I knew that in the end she wanted to take control, which isn’t the best idea in my opinion.  I liked Peter.  I felt like he was a very real character.  Like he really stuck to his character and didn’t have any changes in him.  He also didn’t like “pull through” for Tris.  He did what wasn’t expected of his character, but what was liked.  I know I’m not supposed to like him, but his character was just what I felt was a real character.  True to whom he was.  I don’t even want to talk about Tris’s brother.  No I refuse to.  He was a little *WARNING LANGUAGE NOT FOR KIDS, SKIP SENTENCE IF NOT A FAN OF INAPROPRIATE LANGUAGE* shitting bitch as I like to say.  (I always like to put warnings of stuff because I never know who might be reading.  And I don’t want to come across as a bad person). 

 

Well that’s about it.  I was most captivated and absorbed in the book during the ending.  It was really great!  Great writing, great action, great everything!  I enjoyed the ending a lot….well except up to the very ending when IT ENDED WITH WARNING!  Literally it just ends.  Just like Divergent.  I was pretty mad.  Cause I can’t wait to keep reading!  I am very excited for Allegiant y’all!  Y’all should be too!  I am going to see her when she comes to Dallas!  Should be awesome!  I’ll take pics!  Lol! 

 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me