Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Interview with Natalie D. Richards, author of Six Months Later


1.  How did you come up with the plot for Six Months Later?

The story was inspired after a creepy dream about falling asleep and waking up months later.  That kind of a dream brings up a lot of really eerie questions for a writer.  I couldn’t shake all of the sinister possibilities and slowly the pieces just fell together.

 

2.  Do you plan on writing more about Chloe’s life?

Alas, Six Months Later is a one-shot, so there aren’t any present plans for a sequel.  That said, I *DO* have very definite plans for some shorter companion pieces, likely told from Adam’s POV.  If you’re interested, check me out on Wattpad (I’m @NatDRichards there and on Twitter!) where I’ll post news on that as soon as I have it. J

 

3.  Do you plan on writing more books?

Absolutely!  I’ve already written my next YA Thriller for Sourcebooks, One Name a Week.  It’s a thriller and a contemporary and a vigilante book all rolled into one.  I’m beyond excited about it!

 

4.  What were some of your favorite books to read as a teenager/YA?

Weirdly, as a teenager, I read mostly adult fiction and I read all over the board.  I enjoyed everything from Dean Koontz,  to Jane Austen, to Kurt Vonnegut (how’s THAT for a mix?!).   I was already fond of books that scared me.  LOL!  Anything Dean Koontz penned found its way onto my pile (Lightning and Phantoms were my favorites) and Stephen King’s Pet Sematary and The Stand were fantastic.  I also loved high fantasy (Lord of the Rings) and was absolutely over the moon about Leaves of Grass. (Walt Whitman)


 

 

5.  How did you go about creating the characters (and though I already know where the idea for Adam’s character came from, would you care to share again)?  ;)

John Bender from The Breakfast Club definitely served as character inspiration for Adam.  Not that he’s a carbon copy or I was trying to reinvent Bender (heaven forbid, he is perfect and mustn’t be touched!) but there was something so raw and tragic about that character.  He has so little hope of being good.  I guess Adam is a kid in a very similar situation, but what he does with his situation makes him very different.

Chloe came together in pieces.  I knew she was a daredevil and I knew she had wavy hair.  That was about it.  I got to know her with every page.  Which meant I had to go back and change things that definitely didn’t feel right once I knew who she was!

 

6.  Do you know if you will be doing any signings or events around the Texas DFW area?

I can’t tell you how much I’d love to come to Texas.  I mean, for reals.  I totally would.  Alas, right now my touring is fairly limited to the local area.  Texas is definitely an area I’m hoping to visit soon.  I happen to know several (wink, wink,  nudge, nudge) COMPLETELY awesome bloggers from that state.

 

7.  When did you first start writing?

SO young.  Maybe five?  Now, don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t writing novels or even full stories most of the time.  But I was always writing.  Writing about my day or the thunderstorm outside or the wolf I was sure lived in the clump of trees behind my house.  ;-)

 

8.  What inspired you to write Six Months Later?

The idea of losing six months of your memory with no accident or illness to explain it was completely creepy.  I felt so unsettled every time I imagined it.  I knew it was just the kind of story I wanted to write.


 

 

9.  If you could give one piece of advice to your fans, what would it be?

Be true to yourself and as kind as possible to everyone else. 

Also, if I get to talk to my fans here, I have to say thank you.  I’m so honored and privileged to write for you guys.  I mean that.

10.  If you could give any advice to writers and/or future authors what would it be?

Read.  And read some more.  Oh, and hey, maybe read something else.  You just finished a book?  Great! Get a snack.  Then read another one. LOL!

Seriously, though, I think there are four very simple keys to being a writer.

1.      Read a lot.

2.      Write a lot.

3.      Accept that rejection will happen. (usually a lot)

4.      Believe that rejection will not ALWAYS happen. (even if it happens for a long while)

Bex thank you SO much for having me on the blog today.  It’s been amazing getting to know you and I am so touched at the way you embraced Six Months Later.  Thank you a zillion times over!!  So so happy to be here!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for all of your support of Six Months Later and for this lovely interview! I had so much fun!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Email Me