Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Irving Launch Party with Mary Gray


Irving Book Launch for Dollhouse Asylum

By:  Mary Gray

Last Friday I attended the launch party for Mary Gray’s first novel, Dollhouse Asylum.  It was SUPER fun and Mary just happens to be the sweetest person EVER!

Mary: Well… I’m not sure about THAT but thank you!! You are pretty dang awesome yourself.

There was cake and cupcakes with the cover of her book on them!  A table was set up to purchase a copy of the book (or look at it if you already bought one).  Beverages were next to the cake for you to wash down that SUGARY frosting.  The cake and cupcakes were very cool, though!

Mary: About the cakes: I called around EVERWHERE to find someone who would A) do an edible image and B) actually listen to what I wanted done. These two requirements proved to be quite difficult! In the end, though, my friend suggested I try Albertsons and I’m so glad I listened, because the baker there was the sweetest, most capable thing. Need a cake decorator? Try Albertsons in Lake Worth. (I sound like a commercial, don’t I?) Also, that punch was so good! I was nervous about it! It was a compilation of cinnamon, sugar, cranberry juice, orange juice, lemon juice, and Seven-Up. I actually came home straight away and made another batch because, frankly, I’m in love with it.

Once everyone took their seats, Mary began her presentation with the book’s trailer.  Link to trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7l_Fm486gM

 

Mary: If anyone ever wants to make a trailer like this, be warned that it took EONS to make, but was so fun, and rewarding. I was blessed to find actors who were willing to try anything.

After the trailer Mary explained what inspired the love behind the story, by presenting animated GIF’s to demonstrate the different kinds of love.  She used movie clips from: Cleopatra & Mark Antony, Rumple & Belle, Heathcliff and Catherine, Casablanca, Pride and Prejudice, Lars and the Real Girl, V for Vendetta, Peeta and Katniss

It was all very cool, and made you come to a realization of what love can be.  Perfectly executed Mary Gray! 

Mary: I’m glad it worked for you, Bex, because it is what I want people to walk away from my book knowing: that selfish, unhealthy love MUST be escaped.

Then, Mary read us a summary of her writing and editing process with Danielle.  Oh my… it is a LONG process!  Not excited for that part when I become a writer!  But in the end you get a book you wrote published, so I guess it’s worth it!  ;)

Mary: Yes, the process was painful, but it makes the finished product all that more precious.

Next, Mary invited everyone to look under their chairs for a “pick me” piece of paper.  The people with the best costumes (favorite tragic literary character or couple) come up and introduce who they are and why they picked that person.  There were some AWESOME costumes!  My personal favorite was Princess Buttercup and Wesley from Princess Bride.  Mary herself was dressed as Cleopatra and her husband and kids came up dressed as Cleopatra’s family.  It was ADORABLE!   Prizes were handed out (by Alex and me) for best costume, how far you came, and how many friends you brought! 

Mary: We had vampires, a girl in a steel corset, Lois Lane and Clark Kent, Pocahontas and John Smith, Aphrodite, Persephone, Daisy Buchannan, plus others. It was so fun seeing what everyone dressed up as.

Mary took questions from the audience, then she wrapped up and we all chatted for a bit!  She signed everyone’s book and gave everyone a chance to talk to her! 

Mary: Not to mention the fact that my wig wouldn’t stay on my head by the end of the presentation or during my signing. As part of my Cleopatra costume, I wore fake eyelashes. (Note to self: this is a dangerous combination.)

 
It was tons of fun, and I’m so glad I went!  Had a blast!  Mary is so awesome!  Everyone who hasn’t read her book definitely needs to 

I left a bit earlier than I wanted to (not being a legal driver and all that happens often).  But it was ok because I got to see her Monday at the Grand Prairie public library!  This was totally fun!  :D  So glad I got to meet her and talk to her! 

Mary: I’m so glad you could make it, Bex! And thanks for writing up your synopsis!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Email Me